Google Chrome Apps For Windows Launched As Google Sets Stage To Take Over Computing
For the lovers of Google Chrome including myself, we all have one more reason to smile. On Google Chromeâs 5th official birthday, Google introduced Chrome apps for Windows Desktop users. According to Google, the Google Chrome App âbrings together the speed, security and flexibility of the modern web with the powerful functionality previously available with software installed in your devices.â
Launching the apps for your desktop on Windows shouldn’t come to you as a surprise though. Google Chrome has in the past few months been working on this application as it continues to enhance the userâs experience on the Linux, Windows and Mac platforms.
From the Editorâs desk
Editor’s note:Â Today marks the 5th birthday of Chrome, a projectÂ we startedÂ to push the web platform forward. From a humble beginning of static text, images and links, the web has grown into a rich platform teeming with interactive content and powerful applications. Weâve been astounded by how farÂ the web has comeÂ and are very excited to see what developers around the world will be able to do with theÂ new generationÂ of Chrome Apps.
With apps designed for your desktop, which are just like the ones you have on your phone and tablet, your browsing experience is going to be a whole new venture. Initially you could play games like angry birds via the browser, or maybe read your articles in your pocket app via the browser, and with internet. But with the redefined Google Chrome apps, you do not have to use your browser; here are the new things you can expect with Google Chrome Apps;
- Work offline: Keep working or playing, even when you donât have an internet connection.
- More app, less Chrome: No tabs, buttons or text boxes mean you can get into the app without being distracted by the rest of the web.
- Connect to the cloud: Access and save the documents, photos and videos on your hard drive as well as on Google Drive and other web services.
- Stay up-to-speed: With desktop notifications, you can get reminders, updates and even take action, right from the notification center.
- Play nice with your connected devices: Interact with your USB, Bluetooth and other devices connected to your desktop, including digital cameras.
- Keep updated automatically: Apps update silently, so you always get all the latest features and security fixes (unless permissions change).
- Pick up where you left off: Chrome syncs your apps to any desktop device you sign in to, so you can keep working.
- Sleep easier: Chrome apps take advantage of Chromeâs built-in security features such as Sandboxing. They also auto-update to make sure you have all the latest security fixes. No extra software (or worrying) required.
- Launch apps directly from your desktop: To make it quicker and easier to get to your favorite apps, weâre also introducing the Chrome App Launcher for Windows, which will appear when you install your first new Chrome App. It lives in your taskbar and launches your apps into their own windows, outside of Chrome, just like your desktop apps. Have lots of apps? Navigate to your favorite apps using the search box.
Play your games in full screen and have your website content stored however you please with this powerful feature from Google Chrome. Currently, itâs been unveiled for Windows and Chromebook, to download you can check them out in the âFor your desktopâÂ collection in the Chrome Web Store (MacÂ & Linux coming soon).Â Google has also promised compatibility for Android in future.
To get you started we give you ideas for two applications below;
Angry Birds for Google Chrome Apps
Install the Angry Birds offline version from the link to the Google Chrome apps provided above, and play it at the comfort of your desktop without having any internet.
Google Keep for Google Chrome Apps
Install Google Keep from the Google Chrome apps and get started. Google Keep assists you to take note of everything that comes to your mind so that you wonât have a problem trying to remember these things after you forget them.